Replacement Bus details
Somerset County Council has stepped in to organise alternative transport after a local bus company ceased to operate. The Council was given no prior notice of a decision by Nippybus taken late yesterday.
* Nippy bus were operating 4 school transport routes at the time of their collapse. More than 300 students were affected across 4 schools – Stanchester Academy, Huish Episcopi Academy, Ansford Academy and Keinton Mandeville Primary School. All routes are now being covered by emergency contracts and parents have been informed about the changes to the operator. We will be re-tendering these contracts from mid-November. There was some disruption to the morning school transport run, but all routes were covered and back up and running by Monday afternoon.
SCHEDULED PUBLIC TRANSPORT ROUTES
* N8 Yeovil to West Coker / N9 Martock to Yeovil – A new combined service 52 operated by Buses of Somerset will be in place from Wednesday 1 November on an emergency basis, also covering Bower Hinton which was affected by the collapse of the N10 service a few weeks ago. New timetables are being published today.
* 667 Street to Wincanton – South West Coaches have taken on this service and will run the same timetable as before from Tuesday 31 October.
* 669 Shepton Mallet to Street – First Somerset and Avon will be running a replacement route for this service from tomorrow on an emergency basis. Today extra capacity will be made available on service 649 provided by Frome Minibuses, which will operate via the route of the 669 between Shepton Mallet and Strode College. The vehicle will have capacity for an extra 30 passengers to provide transport for College students.
* N10 – Martock – Ilminster – Taunton – Nippy bus had already ceased to operate this route at the time of their collapse, and the majority of the route is served by alternative scheduled public transport operating from Ilminster to Taunton.
DEMAND RESPONSIVE SERVICES
* N6/N8/N11 – in the short term we are talking to Community Transport providers about establishing a limited Dial-a-Ride service in the areas previously served by Nippybus DRT. We will provide details as soon as possible.